Thursday, April 14, 2011

Living the (semi) Crunchy Life

I met with my doula last night. She was everything I dreamed of and more. I didn't have a doula with Scout and honestly I really didn't even think I would this time around. The main reason I was meeting with her is because.....

DUM. DUM. DUUUUUM!!!

I am going to ingest my placenta after the baby is born. (Please don't run away yet!!!)

She is the only person around here that will do placenta encapsulation, but after meeting her she will be right by my side when I push this baby out. Now I can only imagine your faces right now. What?! She's is going to EAT her placenta?!?! It is dehydrated and then turned into powder and placed in capsules. It's all good.

Here are some facts about ingesting your placenta after birth:

contain your own natural hormones


be perfectly made for you


balance your system


replenish depleted iron


give you more energy


lessen bleeding postnatally


been shown to increase milk production


help you have a happier postpartum period


hasten return of uterus to pre-pregnancy state


be helpful during menopause


(from placentabenefits.info)

I expierenced horrible post partum depression after Scout. It started about 3 months after I had her. I had horrible thoughts about myself, I didn't feel like living, honestly it was the worst mind fuck I have ever had in my life. You would think that right after having such a beautiful child I would have been over the moon! When Scout was about a year old I came across an article about ingesting your placenta. I was so intrigued that I started researching anything and everything I could on the subject. I watched YouTube videos of people actually eating raw and cooked placenta. Everything I came across made so much sense to me. I had this overwhelming feeling that if only I would have done that with Scout's placenta everything would have been so much better. I would have breastfed longer than 5 months because I wouldn't have needed my xanax to survive. I would have been a happier momma, not so on edge, more relaxed.
The day I found out I was pregnant I immediatly thought I get to ingest my placenta!! Then I cried. Haha!

I have heard everything from it's disgusting, we are a civilized society now, that's cannabilism. EVERYTHING. I have such a different perspective on it. I feel like no matter what we are still mammals. There is a reason they eat their placentas after birth!!! Humans have also done it until someone told someone else that we shouldn't. That is was gross. Just how breastfeeding has become gross. It blows my mind. Gross to me is having to resort to other medicines, such as xanax, because your hormones are so out of whack after giving birth because the hospital trashed your most important medicine!

I know not everyone feels the same way that I do, and that's perfectly fine! The only thing I hope for is that us humans do not give up on instinct. I believe it is the one, true thing that connects us back to ourselves. Your body knows what is right, always listen to it.

Unless your strung out on crack or something, then I would ignore everything.

If you are in the Oklahoma City and surrounding areas you can find my doula, Taryn Goodwin, at SpiritedDoula.com

7 comments:

Lizzy said...

That is very interesting! I have heard of things like this before but without any explanation or details and so my mind automatically thought, "EW!" But with just the few facts you gave, I can see how you would want to do that. It does still seem weird but only because we have been TAUGHT that it's weird.
Hmmmm....I don't have kids yet but this is something to consider for when I do.
:D

Lizzy

sharalee said...

rock on, buddy! i'm totally gonna do that with mine....if i ever have one. ha! yay! i'm excited for you!

Rebekah said...

Hmm, this is an interesting post! Haha, I admire you do be able to do that! It sounds neat, but I still don't know if I personally could do it. I am very excited though to hear results about all this later!!

Renisha said...

I have read about its benefits in newspapers,but I have never known someone that does it,congrats on sharing the knowledge & inspiring others..
--kisses ♥

bw ur newest follower :)

Diana Smith said...

WOW thats amazing, I haven't even heard of that before. I don't think I could do it, but I see why you are doing it! I understand that it could help you through the process after birth which IS SO HARD!! Good luck lady!!

Katrina said...

I have never heard of this...but I could see myself doing it. Nature's ways, you know...we mess with them too much, and look where it's getting us... hormones out of whack, formula feeding our babies because breasts have become toys instead of functioning and necessary parts of our bodies, unnecessary interventions during the birthing process and the c-section rate going sky-high because of it....
I don't know, I never thought of myself as a crunchy mom but everything I read about that term fits the things I do. I had never heard of "AP" parenting...until one day I heard it, googled the term, and I was like, "Oh hey...I do all that!" I just never knew there was a word for it! LOL

I have nine children, and only the last 3 were born at home, in water. I wish I had had them all that way! But I nursed them all, co-slept with them all, baby-wore them all, etc etc etc. I was an AP and just didn't know it.

Anyway, I saw your link on the UBP2011 link and just wanted to say hello! Congrats on your new pregnancy! I'm following your blog :)

Katrina

http://www.theyallcallmemom.com/2011/04/2011-ultimate-blog-party.html

Olivia Grace said...

What an awesome post!!!! I have never heard of "placenta encapsulation" but am so glad to read about it here. The concept of eating placenta raw has always freaked me out a bit but I've always been fascinated with it because of the obvious health benefits. Thank you so much for sharing this and intriguing me enough to do more research on this topic!